Veteran's Day Performance
Central's Symphonic Band performed for Veterans Day on Sunday, Nov. 11th, 2018 at the Minnesota Vietnam Veterans' Memorial on the State Capitol Mall . The ceremony is hosted by the 173rd Airborne Brigade. Central has performed at this annual ceremony for over 20 years.
Central Strings Collaborates with Southwest High School Orchestra at the University of St Thomas
On Friday, October 12, 2018 a small group of Central string players collaborated with the Minneapolis Southwest Orchestra and the University of St. Thomas Music Department. Both high schools rehearsed side by side, performed for each other, and had clinics with Dr. Matthew George from the University of St. Thomas. After a group lunch at the Midtown Global Market, Central paid a visit to Ramsey Middle School to perform for their orchestra.
Central's Jazz Band Takes On Tap Dancing
This fall Central's Jazz Band welcomed Twin Cities Dance Artist and Educator Kaleena Miller for five days of workshops intended to explore compositional and improvisational structures in both jazz music and tap dance. Central's Jazz Band stepped out of their comfort zones and strapped on some tap shoes to connect physicality with music and visa versa. On the final days of the workshop Ms. Miller was joined by local musicians JT Bates, Cody McKinney, and Bryan Nichols. The workshops were made possible by a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board.
During the 2017-18 school year:
- Central Music Boosters ran a successful Give to the Max Day campaign, raising more than $8,000 for Central’s music department.
- More than 100 students worked together on the 4th annual Central Bowlero fundraiser, and raised about $6,500 for our music program.
- Central Music Boosters funded travel scholarships for students who went on the music department’s performance trip to Washington, D.C. in March, 2018.
- Master classes, piano accompanists, and instrument repairs were funded thanks to the Music Boosters, as well as funding for an additional band director for Central’s Jazz 2 ensemble.
- Central Music Boosters funded a newly commissioned work by a Central alum, and purchased a separate musical work by another alum, both for the Jazz Band to perform.